Because I only have 22 more months until the big 30!
Each year that limps a little bit closer to Thirty leaves me with a feeling of dread. I can’t help but wonder what I’ve managed to do with my life up to this point. When I was younger, I thought I would be somewhere else, somewhere other than where I am.
Yet, when I stop and look around, I realize I am right where I need to be at this age. I’m happily married and working hard towards my dreams. I’ve traveled cross country, twice. I’ve lived in a handful of states and visited some beautiful cities. There is a roof over my head and two loving cats by my side. That’s something to be proud of. Still, there is so much more I could be doing. Here are 22 things I’d like to do in the twenty-two months before I turn thirty.
22 Before 30
Write Two More Books
- Because I have big things planned. While I’m doing my best to get Starlight published, I have a self published series to work on and fantasy idea growing larger and larger by the day.
Visit My Writer Friends In Person
- Over the past year, I became fast friends with two great ladies. Our Facebook Messenger chat is always open and Overwatch matches get us through the night. I’d like to meet them both in person before I turn 30.
Attend a Book Convention
- These things are not only great for networking, but look like they could be a ton of fun! I want to attend Bookcon/Y’all Fest/Y’all West. Books, friends, travel! What could be better?
Get Published in Small Anthologies
- This month, I’m working hard to hammer out some short stories. It’s been a while since I’ve tried, but I’m loving how it is re-energizing my excitement to write. Fulfilling small tasks and creating short stories is a bit of a sprint, but totally worth it. I plan on submitting them before the month is over. I’ve got this!
Travel On My Own, or With My Husband, More
- Before I met my husband, I’d never left the state of New York. Then, I found myself all over the country. Now, I want more. I want to see more cities, explore more museums, and see the world. To have my husband by my side in the process would be fun. If not, his mom is a great travel companion. No, really! She and I travel great together.
Post More Videos on Instagram
- I love seeing and hearing my favorite people on Instagram stories and I can’t help but wonder if anyone else would like the same from me! A goal for the new year is to upload more videos and generally be more sociable.
Do Something Big for the Writing Community
- I don’t know what this will be, but I’ve always wanted to create a bigger community. I’m working on my Facebook Group as a way for others to meet and learn, but I still want to do more.
Get My Shit Together, Business Wise
- I have a self published series and I seriously jumped the gun. My goal is to learn as much as I can about the business as I move forward. I also know that I don’t want to fit the mold with how I run these books. Each book launch should be fun and I’m looking forward to making it fun for everyone.
Find More Anime to Watch With Hubby
- Anime is a kind of story telling that not everyone loves, but it’s something hubs and I can agree on. Currently, we love My Hero Academia, but we kind of ran out of episodes! I even make a reference to FMA: Brotherhood in my own book, Starlight.
Discover More Non-Franchise Restaurants
- Finding small businesses is fun because there’s a level of love and creativity put into the food that you can’t find at any old franchise.
Take Notebooks to Cafes More
- This college town has more than it’s fair share of bars, but it also has some very nice cafes. I’d like to frequent them more often, enjoying a coffee while I eavesdrop on people and enjoy the scenery around me.
Try More Hair Colors and Cuts
- I think we all know I can be a bit adventurous with my hair. One of my goals is to try shaving my head! It will definitely have to wait for the summer months to come around again.
- There is a local artist that I follow on Instagram and she keeps posting Sailor Moon inspired art. I really want to get one, but I don’t even know where I’d put it. I also forget how much it hurts each time!
Try Driving in the Snow Again
- In 2011, I totaled my car during a snow storm. Before that, I was a fearless winter driver. Now, I shake and panic at the thought of driving in the snow. It’s completely changed who I am and I don’t want that kind of hindrance to hold me back anymore.
Visit the Magical World of Harry Potter in Florida
- It’s travel and magic all in one! I’ve always wanted to go, but the outrageous price for travel and lodging is holding me back. When I sign a big book deal, it will be my first treat to myself.
- While Ghostwriting has helped me learn what I’m truly capable of, it’s also very time consuming. By the time I’m done writing for someone else, I have no real desire to work for myself and it’s holding me back.
- We have friends overseas and it would be a blast to visit them one of these summers. Every year we plan on getting our passports and every year we put it off. We need to get on that!
Run my own Long Term D&D Campaign
- My husband is obsessed with Dungeons and Dragons. He’s an amazing verbal storyteller and I love that about him, but he doesn’t get to play as a character often. I’d love to create a long term story for him and our friends to play through.
Start a Youtube Channel
- Yo, this will happen. I’m working my way up to it. I promise. My goal for the new year is to start a Youtube channel that focuses more on the fantasy and sci-fi side of writing.
Get a Literary Agent
- To get a really good deal out of your publishing contract, a literary agent is necessary. I also want to build a relationship with the agent that chooses me for all my future books. Building that kind of relationship ensures a great working relationship that runs smoothly. It also makes for more friends and who doesn’t want that?
Get a Publishing Contract
- Once I land an agent, I know a publishing contract won’t be far behind. I’m keeping myself busy while I play the query game, but I’m beyond excited for the places my story could go. Sure, this could take a while. Sure, Starlight might not even be the first book to get picked up, but I know I have it in me to get there.
Embrace Myself and Learn to Manage my Life
- I know I can be a difficult person, with a lot of ups and downs, but I’d really like to learn how to be happier with who I am. Once I find that kind of mindset, some of the crankiness I carry with me will be left behind. Self love, both inside and out, has been a struggle for me and it can cause me to lash out. No one needs to live with that.